Q – I have some books I’d like to donate to the Library. Do you accept donations?
- A – We are not accepting any donations at this time.
Q – Why not?
- A – Our space is limited and we do not have sufficient office space to process donations.
Q – So what should I do with my books?
- A – Here’s a small list of local organizations that accept donations. Please keep in mind that circumstances are always changing, especially with Covid-19, so we encourage you to call ahead and double check.
- The Mount Vernon Public Library- accepts donations; no encyclopedias.
- The Yonkers Public Library, Riverfront Branch- accepts one box or bag of books at a time. Books must be in excellent condition.
- The Salvation Army in Mount Vernon accepts books but they are temporarily closed- please call ahead for updates.
- The Vietnam Veterans of America- you can call them by phone at 1-800-775- VETS (8387) to schedule a pickup. You can also visit their website to schedule a pickup in Westchester: https://vva.org/pickup-locations/new-york/
If you know of some other organizations which should be added to the list, please email Librarian Liam Hegarty at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q – So you absolutely will never take any books under any circumstances?
A – We are flexible on this- if you have a fresh copy of a current bestseller, we’ll be glad to take it. The reason for this exception is so that if a current bestseller has hundreds of holds on it, we can cut down on the wait time for our patrons if we have multiple copies.
Q – I have stacks of currency (unsorted), bonds, stock certificates and sundry ingots. Would the Library be interested in these items? They aren’t books.
A – Contact our Library Director, Laura Eckley, email@example.com, 914-834-2281 x115, immediately.
Q – Anything else?
A – The Children’s Room accepts donations of kids’ books, but it’s always a good idea to call them first. The Children’s Room can be reached at (914) 834-2281, extension #4.
We also accept donations of some items of local interest, such as a Mahiscan (the Mamaroneck High School yearbook) that fills a gap in our collection (i.e. before 1937, 1939–1943, 1945–48, 1950–51, 1955,
1960, 1962, 1964, 1971–72, 1978–85, and 1988–1993).