Over the last few days we’ve seen an outpouring of eResource sharing and generosity as schools, libraries and workplaces have announced temporary closures. Many of the vendors of our extensive collection of downloadable books, audiobooks, magazines, movies and television have added additional resources for free. But wait, there’s more! Below are some staff suggestions of online activities you can enjoy while we wait for life to return to normal. Update! March 19. We’ve done the same thing for children. It’s on the Children’s Blog page.
- 92nd Street Y is offering live streams & archives of events & concerts.
- Metropolitan Opera is offering nightly Met Opera streams – each day, for the duration of the Met’s closure, an encore presentation from the company’s Live in HD series will be made available from 7:30 p.m. EDT until 3:30 p.m. the following day.
- Read BookPage Online – Miss our monthly free magazine recommending books? They’ve made it available for us to share with with our patrons for free. Here’s a link to the March issue. Note: Check our eBooks, etc. page for downloadable versions of many of the titles mentioned.
- Museum Tours Online – Google Arts and Culture has teamed up with over 500 museums to provide access to virtual tours and online exhibits of famous museums worldwide.
- National Park Tours Online – MarthaStewart.com has provided a list of National Parks with virtual tours so you can enjoy the great outdoors from your couch. Thanks Martha!
- Instagram – If you’re still not on Instagram, now is the time to make an account! Performers like John Legend, Keith Urban and Chris Martin from Coldplay are performing live daily from their homes! Speaking of Instagram, we’ve created a hashtag, #LarchmontReadsOn, and are asking people to post pics of their daily reading, book stash etc and tag us and use that hashtag. Follow us on Instagram.
- Be counted! – This time the 10-year census is completed online. If you haven’t received your Invitation to Respond in the mail yet, you can use your address to get started.
Check back for more as we will be updating this. Have something you find interesting or useful? Let us know! Email firstname.lastname@example.org.