On April 29, the Mystery Writers of America awarded Tom Bouman (who, only coincidentally, is your webmaster’s nephew) the Best First Novel Edgar for his book, Dry Bones in the Valley. In other news, some hacks named Stephen King and Gillian Flynn also got awards. Here’s a complete list.
- Best Novel – Mr. Mercedes, by Stephen King
- Best Short Story – “What Do You Do?” by Gillian Flynn from the anthology, Rogues, edited by George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois.
- Best Paperback Original – The Secret History of Las Vegas by Chris Abani
- Best Fact Crime – Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
by William Mann
- Best Critical/Biographical – Poe-Land: The Hallowed Haunts of Edgar Allan Poe by J.W. Ocker (on order)
- Best Junvenile – Greenglass House by Kate Milford
- Best YA – The Art of Secrets by James Klise